Subliminal priming

J. Scott Saults saultsj at missouri.edu
Mon Oct 9 14:31:07 EDT 2006

David Glasgow

Sorry, but I missed seeing your original post and couldn't find it
searching, so this might be OT, but I'll offer it anyway.

I'd be surprised (amazed, even) if anyone could control brief display
times like you want in Revolution (without externals). This was
possible using a set of externals called 'McPsych' (

a project of  The University of Western Australia Department of
Psychology). As far as I know, no one continued development of this
very promising but specialized extension to MetaCard / Revolution
beyond about 2001, and some features are no longer compatible with
Revolution or XP (though some are).

Missing your original post, I'm not sure what display times you want
(or why), but I'm guessing it's roughly 2-4 screen refresh cycles
(~33-66 ms at 60 Hz), followed, of course, by a mask. Computer
display durations are limited to multiples of the screen refresh
rate, so finer control of duration intervals requires a faster
refresh. I'd be happy to hear I'm wrong, but I doubt that Revolution
can detect refresh rates or onsets (without some external help), much
less synchronize display onsets and offsets with the refresh. Two
experiment development systems designed to do this (as well as
possible under Windows OS) are E-Prime (PST software
http://www.pstnet.com/products/e%2Dprime/) and Presentation
(Neurobehavioral systems, http://www.neurobs.com/).  Some other
possibilities include DMDX, PsyScope, and SuperLab, but I'm not
familiar with the technical specs of these packages. (On a side note,
I'm hoping to eventually find a way to integrate and switch back and
forth from Revolution to E-Prime to use Rev for some features, like
complex UI and input, and E-Prime for others, like quick
presentations and RT measurements.)

Maybe Phil Jimmieson already explained all of this and more, but
thought I should share what I know.

Good luck

J Scott Saults
University of Missouri