use-revolution Digest, Vol 37, Issue 11

Marielle Lange mlange at widged.com
Sun Oct 8 11:23:50 EDT 2006

Dear Viktoras,

On a positive note:
------------------------

A lot of runrev code is already available at:
http://codes.widged.com/?q=taxonomy/term/1

All code there is enclosed within a tag <code type="xtalk">...</
code>, allowing for rapid automatic parsing if needed.

Some of the code is presented in libraries:
http://codes.widged.com/?q=node/658&highlight=library

Where you are pretty much free to cut and paste the relevant code.

There is an example of how you can code in runrev to have components
rather than libraries, with the advantage of components being that
you can simply add them by drag and drop to any new card or stack and
start using them directly:

http://codes.widged.com/?q=node/642#comment-994

I  have improved on the techniques described there. However as I tend
to code less and less in runrev, I didn't update this on the web. The
XML solution was explored as well. Note that realbasic already has
such a solution in place: http://www.realsoftware.com/support/
whitepapers/xml/

On a negative note:
------------------------

Note however that this is too much work for a person alone. The
question to answer then is "would you be ready to share your own
stacks, libraries, and components with others or are you only
interested in a one way service?". When this was discussed 4-5 months
ago, I was under the impression that though there was obviously a
large number of persons were interested in benefitting from efforts
made by others, there were not enough persons could be found who were
ready to make efforts to do something that would benefit the
community at large.

As a result, jerry went on to propose a commercial solution. http://
www.daniels-mara.com/. And I simply started to refresh my javascript
skills.

> Should we try ;-) it is worth efforts.

Ok, what amount of time each week are you ready to contribute to such
an effort? If the answer is zero, then best would be to wait 3-4
months and be ready to pay $16-24 a month and to have all material of
interest locked up in that paying service since all major
contributors of this list will register.

I am afraid, that's how it work. To expect to get something for free,
you need to be ready to give something for free.

Marielle