How to start this project...

Adrian Williams adrian at clubtype.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 06:48:39 EDT 2006

Jacqueline,
I'm trying to start at a very basic level - first of all to understand
how to apply the 'selectedChunk' which seems crucial to my whole
problem.
My script looks right to me but throws up an error -surprise, surprise.

I understand the principle of what selectedChunk achieves, but how to
test
for that is not immediately apparent to me. Although the 'Documentation'
references describe the various functions, I find them not descriptive
enough.
They each really need a complete example so that the snippet can be seen
in some kind of context. This is not adequate for me, as it does not
show
how to retrieve and startChar or endChar values...

the selectedChunk
put the selectedChunk into storedChunk

  I'm afraid even this basic stuff stumps me at the moment.

on keyDown theKey
if the selectedChunk (theKey, field "insertionField") is -1 then
   answer "endChar is -1"
else
if the selectedChunk (theKey, field "insertionField") is +1 then
     answer "endChar is +1"
   else
if the selectedChunk (theKey, field "insertionField") is 0 then
       beep
       end if
   end if
   end if