Revolution, MySQL vs FileMaker

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Mon Oct 2 16:30:56 EDT 2006

Dan,

Thanks for your comments! To be honest, I let FileMaker Pro gather dust on
my shelf during the 4.0 - 6.0 years because that point you describe of
"hitting the wall" came all too early. However, version 7.0 of FileMaker
truly re-invigorated the product. And, version 8.5 (the current release) is
simply amazing.

The current version of FileMaker is truly relational. It has a built-in,
drag-and-drop interface for defining relationships between tables (which now
can all reside in a single file). ScriptMaker has been beefed up
considerably. The Instant Web Publishing scheme has been totally re-invented
and now works almost exactly like a full FileMaker client would, with
multiple layouts and greatly expanded scripting support. The "Advanced" (or
developer) version now has a debugger and variable watcher, as well as
powerful, recursive custom functions. Most all of the restrictions on
field-sizes and file-sizes have been removed or increased to levels you
won't encounter in the real world.

One of my current FileMaker Pro projects uses IWP to service a
nationally-recognized hospital with more than 8,000 staff. Any one of the
staffers can log into the system using the password they already use to
access other intranet resources at the hospital. It looks and feels just
like any other web-based tool they might use, if not a little nicer. It is
hosted externally on a secure server for a cost of $40/month. So, in this
scenario there was no expensive up-front purchase of FileMaker Server
Advanced (we're essentially "renting" it for less than $500/yr), and no
"client" software to distribute and update. I didn't have to write a single
line of HTML/XML/PHP/JavaScript code; it's all handled by FileMaker. The
entire solution took less than 80 hours to build. Minor changes to the
system -- such a adding a new field or a new report -- can be implemented by
the client on their own. And other groups at the hospital can easily
interface with the server for any custom work they need to do.

Contrast this with a program I wrote in Rev to interact with G4tv's
"SpockMarket" game. This program fetches stock values from an XML data
source as quickly as once every second. It generates real-time graphs of
stock values and lets people make trades manually or based on predetermined
criteria. The whole thing has a futuristic look and feel with multiple
windows, custom window shapes, sounds, and animation. (It's a game, after
all!) Because I was only using a fraction of what a full database would do,
I was able to get everything I needed coded in Rev itself. (For example,
there is no need to print anything.) Nevertheless, I still had to "roll my
own" table objects as well as build certain database-like sorting/selection
routines. This was non-trivial work, and took a lot of debugging to get
right.

I hope this illustrates why you might select Rev in one situation and
FileMaker in another.

news:70ed6b130610021008q24d23065sa4fd59b1bbb29233 at mail.gmail.com...