UB sizes (was: Rev 2.7.4 standalone versions)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 2 10:47:01 EDT 2006

Ken Ray wrote:
> On 10/2/06 4:16 AM, "Ian Wood" <revlist at azurevision.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 1 Oct 2006, at 15:52, Malte Brill wrote:
>>> One reason might be filesize. Universal apps are twice as big.
>>
>> Some thought and tests show that that's simply not true... ;-)
>
> Actually I think what Malte was trying to say is that Universal apps use two
> full engines, and their size is additive. Looking at the raw engine size,
> you have this (latest Rev 2.7.4):
>
> Intel Engine: 1.7 MB
> PPC Engine: 1.9 MB
> Universal Engine: 3.7 MB

Even a UB Rev app is much smaller than many Mac apps for a single platform:

Adobe Reader 7: 84MB
iCal: 12.3MB
iPhoto: 36MB

Even Apple's Calculator, which was about 32k in Classic, is 2.1MB in OS
X for PPC.

The difference is often the collection of non-code elements in these
apps, with things that used to be efficiently stored resources now each
a separate file within the bundle, bloating the total size according to
the FAT minimums.

Thankfully Rev keeps such resources to a minimum, giving is a relatively
tiny standalone by contemporary standards.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal