A couple of Windows questions

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sun Oct 1 13:01:06 EDT 2006

On 10/1/06 11:34 AM, "Lars Brehmer" <larsbrehmer at mac.com> wrote:

> I guess I'm an idiot when working in Windows, but a few simple
> questions:
>
> 1. How can I make sure that the i-beam cursor is visible in a text
> field?  I am tweaking a windows version of a Mac app, and sometimes
> the i-beam is there and sometimes it isn't. I compared the fields in
> question and they seem identical - focusable, auto hilite text,
> traversal on, share text, etc.  The cursor changes to an i-beam when
> it passes over the field, but is invisible when inserted, but i can
> type and select - seems weird without that blinking i-beam, which a
> user would definitely expect to see.

There are two reasons I know of:

1) The height of your field is too small for the textHeight of your text.
Although this doesn't happen all the time, sometimes it does. So try making
your text field a little taller and see if that solves it.

2) There is a group whose rectangle is touching or overlapping the field.
This was something that was a bug in an earlier version of Rev, but I
thought was fixed by now (BTW: What version of Rev are you using?).

> 2. Is there anything special about "move" in Windows -  I have some
> scripts that moveobjects, and sometimes they work, albeit it a little
> bit jerky, sometimes they don't happen at all and other times the
> object just shows up at the destination with no mevement in between.

Not sure - do you have other things going on at the same time? Are there
other Windows app sucking down processing power?

> 3. What up with visual effects in Windows?  OK, I admit I am doing
> something that isn't mentioned at all in the docs, and that is
> showing groups on a card with effects like wipe, scroll and reveal
> (the docs only mention transitions between cards and stacks.) but
> they work on the Mac.  At first I thought maybe that's just a little
> bonus on the Mac, but then I saw that in a couple of instances they
> DO happen in Windows!  Similar groups, same effect, sometimes it
> works, sometimes it doesn't.  Some built in effects don't seem to
> work at all.  This is a childrens progam, and the cheesy motion
> effects are important.

Well, you should be able to get any visual effect by locking the screen,
showing an object and then unlocking the screen with the visual effect you
want. Are you using built-in effects or QuickTime effects?

> I am not ragging on Windows, - heck! - a previous problem of mine,
> namely inserting a field and wanting the keyboard map to switch to
> Russian in the case of a Russian text field, and to Estonian in the
> case of an Estonian field works automatically in Windows, but not at
> all on the Mac.  By the way, does anyone know why this is and how to
> fix it on the Mac?

Sorry - not a clue. ;-)

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software