Revolution and the Web, feedback wanted, Part 1 of 3

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Tue Nov 28 19:41:04 EST 2006

> I'm sorry for bringing in another argument to a completely different
> point I was trying to make.

No problem- I'm the one who took the bait!

> Similarly, RR has a similar potential advantage - we have this highly
> abstracted development environment with this highly abstracted
> language, and you can hack it.  With a couple of clicks of the mouse
> you can build an AJAX app.  Do you think you could convince n00bs that
> this is a great idea?  Of course you could.  However, you first have
> to get people to learn the language.  There's a hurdle.  Then there's
> the price.  That's another hurdle.  How many other hurdles do you want
> them to have to go over?  Two?  Five?  I vote for zero.

People have no trouble jumping on a new scripting language if it has
real benefits. It's much easier than picking up a new platform or a
low level language. This is part of the reason why you see Perl,
Python, PHP on a zillion resumes these days. It's really not that
hard to learn any of these if you know another, Transcript included.
There doesn't seem to be much resistance to learning Ruby, because it
promised the AJAX revolution. That excitement may have slowed, but it
shows people will jump

Morfik looks interesting. Seems to justify the market if you ask me.
Of course I can't use it, because it's Windows only =). And talk
about price hurdles - $5000 / developer for the professional edition!!

Perhaps our gap here is that I don't see this as a tool for n00bs.
Look at the kind of developers Morfix is targeting - shops that would
consider a $100k site license...

- Brian