Revolution and the Web, feedback wanted, Part 1 of 3

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 17:53:41 EST 2006

Hey, Brian,

I'm sorry for bringing in another argument to a completely different
point I was trying to make.

However, as long as this is now becoming a completely different
discussion with a life of its own...
I'm not saying that the PHP/Perl/Python/RoR/etc. solution isn't viable
(or that GWT isn't viable).  What I'm saying is that in general the
more complicated solution doesn't make it, because people don't want
to spend the effort when there is a simpler solution that allows them
to achieve the same result.

If you could write AJAX apps in BASIC, C#, Java, or Pascal with a
graphical development tool, a built-in database, and do it for
essentially no investment, would you bother to learn all the other
tools?  Probably not.  That's the bet Morfik is making.  They're
betting that if they give developers a traditional tool that builds
AJAX apps without any extra effort that the decision will be a
no-brainer.

Similarly, RR has a similar potential advantage - we have this highly
abstracted development environment with this highly abstracted
language, and you can hack it.  With a couple of clicks of the mouse
you can build an AJAX app.  Do you think you could convince n00bs that
this is a great idea?  Of course you could.  However, you first have
to get people to learn the language.  There's a hurdle.  Then there's
the price.  That's another hurdle.  How many other hurdles do you want
them to have to go over?  Two?  Five?  I vote for zero.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."