The basics of a chat program

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Tue Nov 28 11:10:43 EST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 12:54 AM, Jan Sælid wrote:

> Mark wrote,
>> I just made a couple of modifications.  I uploaded a new version just
>> now.  The program does work once you enter in the other user's ip.  I
>> just tested in on my MBPro with the Mac talking to my Win system on
>> Parallels.  Worked great!  Let me know if you need any direct help on
>> using it.
>
> I get a problem if one of the machines is firewalled. I found
> another stack
> on rev online by Alex Tweedly, actually 2 stacks. 'TCP App 2' &
> 'TCP App 1'.
> The latter one allows the machine to be more like a server. If I
> run "TCP
> App 2" one on the machine with a firewall it connects. With this
> setup you
> only need to have 1 open port on one of the machines.

The firewall issue is ... well... and issue.  Both parties need to
port forward their routers to the specified system.  Maybe someone
knows a better way to manage this without having to use a server
model.  I have not tried switching the port from 8080 to just 80.
Someone with more knowledge on the subject may have a better solution.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com