java open source!!! [OT]

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 26 15:21:45 EST 2006

--- Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:
> All-
>
> I guess I'm still catching up on unread emails from
> while I was out of
> town, but I just came across the announcement this
> morning that Sun
> has now released java under the GPLv2 license:
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=199
>
> --
> -Mark Wieder

Hi Mark,

My best guess is that they're trying to turn the .NET
tide by having the Linux distributions ship with the
Java Virtual Machine, lest they adopt the Mono
framework (an open-source project to bring .NET to
Linux, MacOSX and Solaris).

Java is taking blows from different sides at once:
.NET on the desktop and server side in all-Microsoft
environments, and platforms like Ruby on Rails on the
server side that J2EE used to reign supremely but now
fails to provide quick setup in a Service-Oriented
Architecture.

Java isn't going away any time soon for development of
enerprise solutions, but the competition is stronger
than ever. In spite of projects like Eclipse and
NetBeans, there's still no IDE that makes it as easy
to develop applications with a rich UI the way Visual
Studio can.

And what does this mean for our beloved Revolution? In
its strongest areas, it's magnitudes faster to develop
an application than other tools. After a week we'll
probably have something that works while the Java guys
are still debating the responsabilities of the classes
they're going to develop.

Don't get me wrong, I like Java - but it's just not
Revolution...

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>