Where Rev could be going...

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Fri Nov 24 17:04:32 EST 2006

Richard,

thank you again for re-iterating those arguments.  As I'm ambivalent
about the whole browser thing, I've just been playing devil's
advocate.  As far as I can see, I won't ever bring this up again.
I'll leave it up to others if they want to further articulate the
case for a browser plug-in.

Most people I know have no idea about how to even bookmark a website
within their browser, or what a cookie is... the idea of them being
able to download and install an application is fairly unimaginable.
Even if they could install an application, I think as a rule of thumb
I would advise them against it unless I could personally verify what
it was they were downloading (I mean 'verify' as a friend, not as the
developer of the application they were downloading).  I've seen some
friends whose computers were probably parts of the same botnets
responsible for the spam we were talking about in another thread.
These friends had so lost control of their machines, that they could
not use them for more than a minute or two before IE would open
itself up and take them to some unsalubrious site. These people
weren't complete novices when it comes to IT: one of them had studied
programming in C++ for some months before giving it up; the other was
an IT trainer.  If those people are unable to guard their PCs against
malware, I wouldn't want the rest of the people I know installing
anything...

Bernard