Parser

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Nov 17 12:35:26 EST 2006

Mikey wrote:
> I'm also not arguing that the language shouldn't evolve.  I am
> bemoaning the fact that the syntax is more rigid in some areas.

It may be helpful to remember two things as you encounter Rev's slightly
more rigid syntax relative to HyperCard's:

1. It's a heckuva lot less rigid than C or even Java.

2. It's never done without unquestionably significant benefit to
performance.

While noble efforts have been made to support even HC-specific
constructs like marked cards, as well as most of the flexibility of
xTalks in general, the few areas where Transcript is less forgiving
represent in each case a very well-thought-out decision to take
advantage of an opportunity for optimization.

The result is an engine that offers what is arguably the best
performance of any xTalk, often by several times and sometimes by a few
orders of magnitude.

So yes, using Transcript effectively means acquiring a very modest level
of coding discipline over what was required with HyperTalk, but the
benefits far outweigh the effort.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal