Lets make a deal!!!!!!!!!!

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Nov 16 21:24:21 EST 2006

Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think that there is a lot of silly, sometimes personal crap on this
> list on the odd occasion and I reckon it boils down to this:

I think it's just the nature of mailing lists, and trying to stop it is
a little like trying to stop the tide. But it does give me the
opportunity to post this old chestnut:

===

Question: How many internet mail list subscribers does it take to change
a light bulb? Answer: 1,343

1-- to change the light bulb and to post to the mail list that the light
bulb has been changed;

14-- to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the
light bulb could have been changed differently;

7-- to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs;

27-- to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light
bulbs;

53-- to flame the spell checkers;

41-- to correct spelling/grammar flames;

6-- to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" and another 6
to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive;

156-- to write to the list administrator about the light bulb discussion
and its inappropriateness to this mail list;

109-- to post that this list is not about light bulbs and to please take
this email exchange to litebulb-list;

203-- to demand that cross posting to grammar-l, spelling-l and
illuminati-l about changing light bulbs be stopped;

111-- to defend the posting to this list saying that we all use light
bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this mail list;

306-- to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where
to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for
this technique and what brands are faulty;

27-- to post URL's where one can see examples of different lightbulbs;

14-- to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and the post the
corrected URL's;

3-- to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to
this list which makes light bulbs relevant to this list;

33-- to link all posts to date, then quote them including all headers
and footers and then add "Me too"

12-- to post to the list that they are unsubscribing because they cannot
handle the light bulb controversy;

19-- to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4-- to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ;

44-- to ask what is "FAQ"

4-- to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago on Usenet?"

143-- to ask "what's Usenet?"

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com