Parser

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 23:13:13 EST 2006

On 11/16/06, Jeanne wrote:

> >  An expression such as "get
> > hilite of me" is not correct HyperTalk. It's true that HyperTalk is
> > looser about this particular mistake (and others) than Transcript -

On 11/16/06, Mikey <mikeythek at gmail.com> replied:

Since HT was the original root of this tree, I think it's a little
> unreasonable to say that it's incorrect or a mistake, unless Bill
> Atkinson or Dan WInkler say so.

Hmmm.  As neither Bill or Dan are pruning, watering or even sitting under
that tree anymore it's all seems to be personal perception of history.

Today though, IMHO, the HyperCard tree is looking really really sick and
it's roots, well they're shriveled up and I don't expect to see any "new
growth" (v3.0) in my life time.

What I do know is someone thoughtfully removed the 'best' branches off the
HC tree and grafted them onto some new roots - Rev. The Rev tree is similar
to the HC tree, but not the same. The Rev tree is easy to work with, but not
as easy as the HC tree. IMHO the Rev tree is looking very healthy, it's
roots are strong and seem to be able to produce new growth on a regular
basis (might just be able to hold my breath until 2.7.5 arrives:-) There's a
whole heap of additional branches on the Rev tree that weren't on the old HC
tree - DB support, xplatform, etc. Unfortunately with so much growth some of
the fruit produced is inedible - there's bugs. Fortunately a new husbandman
has been hired (Bill) specifically to reduce the bug population.

They're different, you can spend your time trying to make Rev be HC, or you
can learn to think Rev - I suggest you choose the latter as it won't take
too long:-)