Rev_rant part 4

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Nov 15 15:55:49 EST 2006

On 15 Nov 2006, at 20:49, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I respectfully disagree with some of the points made.
>
> Dave specifically stated:
>>>
> The problem is that when they read the sales small print (in this
> case)
> and see support is not included.
> <<
>
> I believe he was referring to his company's Enterprise developers and
> management when he said it.

A client yes. It was the Studio version of RunRev I was referring to.

> Support fees are widespread in Enterprise-- especially in software
> development. If you code in Xcode and need support, you pay Apple a
> yearly
> support fee. If you code in Visual Studio and you need the upgrades
> for
> MSDN, you pay over $2K per year. It is typical for Enterprise
> customers to
> pay 10% or more in yearly support and maintenance fees for all
> types of
> sofware.

They don't pay any of these fee's. They get free bug fixes in XCode,
AppleScript, JavaScript etc, I'm not sure on Windows.

> That said, many software toolkits automatically include the price of
> "Standard Support and Maintenance" with the first year of purchase. I
> imagine Rev doesn't do this because they are trying to hit a very low
> pricepoint. They may wish to rethink that decision. TrollTech, another
> cross-platform development toolset, includes 1-year support and
> maintenance
> plan, but just see how expensive they are:
>
> (You may want to make sure you are sitting down)
>
> http://www.trolltech.com/support/support/standard
> and
> http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses/pricing

I know and it's crap support!!!

> The thought that the small price of Rev's support/maintance program
> would
> throw Enterprise customers off, perhaps tells more about the
> customers than
> Rev's pricing strategies.

I'm just talking about the studio versions, it wouldn't have been a
problem to make the price higher and include support, the problem was
having it a separate item, coupled with 2.7.x being buggy (especially
on Windows XP) and incompatible stack file problem.All served to put
them off.

Cheers
Dave