Quartz Composer and Revolution

Brent Anderson brentj84062 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 20:02:59 EST 2006

Hello.

I've had this on the back burner for a while, but I haven't done
anything about it until now. If you have a Mac and Apple's Developer
tools, you can create a .mov file that will access your iSight camera
(Or anything else that can be made in Quartz Composer, for that
matter). Note that I have only tested the .mov file on my Mac. If you
can get a hold of one and move it to a PC, let everybody know how it
works.

I'm not going to go over quartz entirely, here is the simple way to
make the iSight movie.

Go to Quartz Composer (/Developer/Applications/Graphics Tools/Quartz
Composer) and create a new composition. It should be blank, so if it
fills it in with a template, just delete all the components with a
quick Apple + A and delete. From there, add a Billboard component and
a Video Input. Drag from the Image output on the Video Input module
to the Image input on the Billboard module. Save this if you like or
make your own tweaks to it. Once you're ready to move into
Revolution, go to File > Export as QuickTime Movie (Cmd + E) and save
it to your disk. It really doesn't matter how long you make it, since
it is all rendered on the fly anyway (My five minute clip was 8 kb).

Now for the easy part: Go to Revolution, create a new stack (if you
don't have one up already), create a Player control, and set the
fileName (Media to use) of it to the filepath of your movie. It will
bring it up in your stack, but it will not be live. To make it live
content, all you have to do is start your player going using "start
player "player"" in the message box.

 From here, it's very easy to create complex animations and effects
all from the comfort of Quartz Composer. If anyone finds any really
great effects, post them here!

Thanks,
Brent Anderson