filter command - problems

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 11:28:19 EST 2006

Can anyone tell me why this isn't working?

I've got a field with contents like this:

1.0[tab]3[tab]0[tab]3
1.3[tab]1[tab]0[tab]1
1.5[tab]2[tab]0[tab]2
2.0[tab]5[tab]0[tab]5
3.0i[tab]50[tab]0[tab]50
4.5c[tab]1[tab]0[tab]1
8.0[tab]10[tab]0[tab]10

Where [tab] = an actual tab character. I want to apply a filter like
this:

filter tLevelInfoTemp with (item 1 of tLicense & tab & "*")

The variable tLevelInfoTemp contains the contents of the field, where
"item 1 of tLicense" would contain one of the values in the first
column of the field contents (1.0, 1.3, 1.5, etc.). For some reason
the above filter does not work. I get an empty string returned. It
seems like I've used this kind of filter before and had it work just
fine, but maybe I'm wrong about that. If I remove the tab from the
filter, it sort of works. For example, if item 1 of tLicense is
"3.0i", I do get back that line. However, if item 1 of tLicense is
"3.0", I still get back the line starting with "3.0i", which is not
what I want.

So why is it I can't use the tab as part of the filter to help
identify the correct line? Or am I going about this filter thing all
wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Sheffield