content of ask file

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 12 01:10:00 EST 2006

On 11/11/06 8:11 PM, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> Scott Morrow wrote:
>>> Ken,
>>> I have implemented your method of checking the folder path. Thank you.
>>> However, it seems a best available solution rather than a completely
>>> reliable one.
>>>
>>> For instance, if there is a folder path:
>>>
>>> /Users/myname/Desktop/billing/September/September
>>>
>>> and I point my ask file at the first "September" folder
>>>
>>> and I type in:     September/earnings.txt      as my file name
>>>
>>> then a file      earnings.txt       will be created in the second
>>> "September" folder.  No data is lost and saving does take place but it
>>> feel like I should be able to keep this from happening to my users
>>
>> I don't think this can happen.
>
> Sorry, I misread your post. You can indeed create a file if the folder
> path already exists. I missed that part.

Your scenario of saving to the wrong folder my be related to the definition
of your defaultFolder.

If the defaultFolder is set to ../September/, then September/earnings.txt
will point to the second folder.

You might want to consider having the user first choose the folder [answer
folder], store that, then go for the 'ask file'

Jim Ault
Las Vegas