Text field bug?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Nov 6 17:44:07 EST 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 2:15 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:54 PM, Devin Asay wrote:
>
>> Recipe:
>> Create a new mainstack.
>> Create 2 new text entry fields and name them. I'll use george and
>> sally.
>> Open the script editor for field "sally".
>> Type some contents into fld "george".
>> Type some contents into fld "sally".
>> Open the property inspector for fld "george" and go to the
>> Contents panel.
>> In the contents field, make a change to the text of fld "george",
>> and don't exit the field.
>> Do this three times:
>> Click on field "sally".
>> Click in the open script editor for field "sally".
>> After the third click to the script editor the contents of fld
>> "george" is replaced by the contents of fld "sally".
>>
>> Like I said, this only happens on G5 iMacs in our lab running 2.7.4.
>
> Nothing fishy with 2.7.4 Enterprise build 291 on a G4 with OS X
> 10.4.8.  I started with a fresh Rev session.

I just got it to do the same thing with 2.7.4 build 291 on an Intel
Mac Mini dual core. But it only seems to happen  with Studio, not
enterprise.

> I might be doing something wrong.  I don't know how to click on
> sally without exiting the contents field.

Well, clicking from fld "george" after changing the contents, then
without clicking anywhere else, click field "sally". (We're in Edit
mode this whole time.) And it's true, it *seems* to close the
contents field, because field "george" updates. But then when I click
back and forth between field "sally" and the script of sally, after
three times the text of george changes to the text of sally. So there
is obviously some kind of flag somewhere that remembers that focus
was in the contents field of george's property inspector.

However, if I make changes in george's contents field, then click
outside of the field while still in george's property inspector, then
go through the process of repeatedly clicking sally and her script,
nothing happens. There doesn't seem to be any more flag that makes
george's text "vulnerable".

> (I have seen funny field problems after snapshots.  I think I have
> seen stack name changes at funny times but suspect those were Dar
> errors and I haven't seen those for a while.)

No, it's not a Dar error, it's a bug. See BZ # 3620. This may even be
related to that bug.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University