How Else to Interact with Browser (was Re:RevolutionWebBrowserPlugin)

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Mon Nov 6 09:01:35 EST 2006

Viktoras and all,

> What about Runtime
> Revolution joining "the club"...

just for the pleasure of throwing more gasoline on a possible
flame war ;-), I must confess that I'm wondering if we all don't
get stuck in a wrong situation : waiting for RunRev to fix bugs,
waiting for RunRev to join some club to have some plugin API
developped, etc, etc.

I for one have been waiting for 3 years to have some vector
graphics implemented in Rev. As for 3D, I did build some raw
external to interface MC 2.3 with openGL (this was back in 2003
and must be burried deep in the archives). Honnestly, if Rev had
been a more open architecture, I might have considered developping
some more sophisticated access to openGL...

And that leads me to ask : instead of waiting for a small company
with limited (yet gifted) programing resources, why not consider
a complete change of business model : Revolution going open source
and plenty of lists members adding features to it (either as plugins in
Transcript or more sophisticated C-coded functions), instead of spending
(wasting ?) hours rambling about RR lack of reaction on certain issues ?

Is this really non-sense ? After all, there are companies making profit by
"simply" distributing Linux versions...

JB