Subject: Re: Stripping blank spaces before and after a word. Help

Dave Herndon herndogy at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 2 12:04:38 EST 2006

Thanks Mark,
  I settled on this and it works SWEEEET !  Thanks For your help.  Now to finish it up.  Anybody have a good way to convert all text in a list to ALL CAPS?  It would be nice to get a consistent look in the database.  Here is the script I settled on.

  repeat with x = 1 to the number of items of MyList
  put word 1 to -1 of item x of Mylist into item x of Mylist
  end repeat

  Then I run another script to turn MyList containing mydata1,mydata2,mydata3, into 'mydata1','mydata2','mydata3' for entry int the databse.  Perhaps I can do it all in the same repeat loop.  Get rid of the spaces, change the text to all caps and then wrap the data in 'single quotes' for SQL data entry if the data is not a number or a date.  Anybody wanna throw down on this one?

  Mark Wrote Dave,
I think you are looking for something like this

repeat for each item myVar in "var1,var2,var2"
   do "put word 1 to -1 of" && myVar && "into" && myVar
end repeat

or

repeat for each line myLine in fld 1
   put (word 1 to -1 of myLine) & cr after myList
end repeat
put word 1 to -1 of myList into fld 1

Best,

Mark