[ANN] Quicktime Issues Wiki

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Nov 1 05:52:59 EST 2006

I was just shaking the tree to see if any mangoes  would fall out.

Aha! there's one from Trevor.

Of course QT is not dead. It's a question
of whether it has a pulse or is just there as a delivery window that
may or may not work, depending...."is an architecture that enhances
the playback environment, be in browser or desktop application."
as you put it... that's simply not enough...the API has to be solid,
cross platform stable, documented, moving forward... (viz-a-viz
our other thread on streaming failures on Windows...)

I took Stephan's offer to open a channel to Apple seriously. But
getting a grip on what Apple needs to do seems like a slippery
well-oiled piglet. The discussion shifted to 3rd party QT authoring
apps...

 From a strategic overview, this is  about
a) whether Quicktime can compete, 3 years from now,
in the video distribution world on the internet against Flash and
b) will Runtime revolution be in sync with the architeture, then...2009...

Practically speaking: can I create Revolution stack,
stream a movie and have all the bells and whistles offered by Flash
via Quicktime? (goes to games, virtual reality tours, eduTainment,
Keynote exports and more)

I see all Greg Smith's very intelligent observations
(even though they relate to a universe of 3rd party
QT authoring apps) as possibly something Apple should hear about...
so, thus, the wiki

http://wiki.hindu.org/quicktime/

We are looking for, a list of as Dan put it, of

"Specific kinds of improvements or changes were you looking for in QT
that you didn't find but managed to locate in Flash?"

email me off list for the edit password.

What do you want Apple to do with Quicktime ??

Sivakatirswami