number of columns in a table field

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue May 30 17:37:03 EDT 2006

If you're trying to determine how many columns the actual data has, as
opposed to how many columns are visible, the following would work (though I
don't know if it is the fastest or most clever method):

put 0 into maxTabs; set the itemdelimiter to tab
repeat for each line x in fld "theField"
  if the number of items in x > maxTabs then \
    put the number of items in x into maxTabs
end repeat

I agree with you that the table object is extremely frustrating.