Linux installation

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat May 27 15:08:52 EDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:

> Here is an interesting piece of information which may or may not have
> some practical implications for you.
>
> I have just investigated RealBasic's functions for obtaining fundamental
> system information in Linux. I was using my free copy of RealBasic 2006
> Release 2 for Linux on the Ubuntu pre-release "Dapper Drake" beta.
>
> The following little routine correctly gave me the HD path to my desktop:
>
>    Dim f As FolderItem
>    f=DesktopFolder
>    If f<>Nil then
>      MsgBox f.AbsolutePath
>    else
>      MsgBox "The folderItem does not exist"
>    end if
>
> Other available functions are ApplicationsSupportFolder, FontsFolder,
> PreferencesFolder, StartupItemsFolder, SystemFolder, TemporaryFolder,
> TrashFolder, SpecialFolder.

Thanks Bob.  While I'm sure RunRev will be interested in catching up
with RB's well thought-out suite of folder paths, I'm not sure how long
I can hold my breath waiting for Linux-related stuff in Bugzilla (I'm
already in my 40s <g>) -- do you know of shell calls to get those paths?

I don't need system or some of the others, just DesktopFolder,
PreferencesFolder, and maybe ApplicationsSupportFolder.

Not sure yet what I'll do about the Start menu shortcuts.

Sure would be nice if the project leaders for the various window
managers would get over themselves and work together on common methods
for common elements.  As long as every team feels their work is more
precious than any other all of them are collectively slowing adoption of
Linux, even as they may believe they're moving it forward.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal