dragData["files"] problem

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Fri May 26 08:50:01 EDT 2006

Hi Ken,

> On 5/26/06 5:22 AM, "Klaus Major" <klaus at major-k.de> wrote:
>
>> But i think it is worth mentioning that this will only DISPLAY the
>> correct filepath. You cannot use that correct filepath in Rev in
>> any way!
>
> True! Thanks for the reminder...
>
>> Example:
>>
>> Path returned by Rev:
>> /Users/klaus/Desktop/Widerspruch und Klag#51BF4F.pdf
>>
>> stsLongFilePath:
>> /Users/klaus/Desktop/Widerspruch und Klage - S 11 AS 105.pdf
>>
>> "launch document xyz" will only work with the first "crippled" path
>> returned by Rev (with drag and drop or "Answer file"), NOTHING
>> will happen with the second and "correct" path.
>
> Actually, "answer file" returns the long path (uncrippled)...

oh, yes, sorry.

> it appears
> that only drag and drop returns a crippled path. And you can always
> use
> "open" through the shell instead of launch to open a file with a
> long path
> as a workaround.

Sure, but that was only an example!
You cannot use "shell" to set the filename of a player ;-)

>> This is a very long known bug (Bugzilla: 396, 08/20/2003!) and does
>> affect ALL file
>> handling actions in Rev on OS X, especially player objects and is a
>> real shwostopper
>> in my opinion. This bug is also related to path names with umlauts/
>> accents etc...
>
> Agreed... even though there are some workarounds,

especially the wonderful solution of Thierry Arbellot, chapeau
monsieur! :-)
But that also fails with long filenames.

> it is desperately
> important that ALL of these path-related things get fixed. In fact,
> drag-and-drop should return a long file path just like 'answer
> file' does so
> there shouldn't be a need to go out to AppleScript to handle that

Essato/Exactement/Exactly/Genau! :-)

> Ken Ray
> Sons of Thunder Software
> Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
> Email: kray at sonsothunder.com

Best from (still fricking cold and rainy) germany

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de
http://www.major-k.de