The ssl library again

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu May 25 19:52:40 EDT 2006

On 25 May 2006, at 23:38, Dave Cragg wrote:

> I just tried a few https urls and got timeouts about 30-50% of the
> time on OS X 10.4.6 (on an intel mac-mini) with all the latest OS
> updates. On my XP machine, I'm not getting timeouts.

A little more information.

I'm seeing the timeouts on OS X 10.4.6 (intel and ppc) with Rev
versions back to 2.5, which was when SSL support was added.

I see similar timeouts with libUrlSetSSLVerification set to both true
and false. (I'm using a certificate when set to true.)

The timeout frequency seems to vary by url. For example, https://
www.google.com/ rarely times out here. However, this url gives a 302
redirect response, and the redirect is a regular http connection. So
very little data is coming back over the secure socket.

It seems the secure socket is being opened OK (at least the Rev
engine thinks so), and the timeouts are occurring on the first read
immediately after writing the request. This suggests the problem is
in the engine, as libUrl behaves the same at this stage for both
secure and non-secure connections. (I'm just escaping responsibility
here.)

I'd be interested to hear if the problem occurs with an older
version of OS X (pre-10.4.6).

Sorry, Mark, as I doubt any of this helps you.

Cheers
Dave