slow command key

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Tue May 23 11:26:31 EDT 2006

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com wrote:

> In Rev 2 (all versions that I've tested), pasting text is very slow,
> in some
> manner proportional to the length of the text in the clipboard.   This is
> something that came in with Rev 2, near as I can tell: paste 90K of
> unstyled
> text into an empty scrolling field in Rev 1.1.1r2, it happens in a wink
> (actually, 23-25 ticks, ie less than half a second).  In Rev 2.2, it's
> more
> than 10 times slower - on average 5-6 seconds.  Rev 2.6 appears to be
> even
> slower, timed at an average of 6-7 seconds, but that may be an
> artifact of not
> much testing.
>
> This is the script I've used in the multi-line message box, filling my
> clipboard from BBEdit to get a constant supply of non-styled text.
>     put empty into fld 1
>     select text of fld 1
>     get the seconds
>     domenu "paste"
>     put the seconds - it
>
> I've also put this in a button displaying to a label field, and
> confirmed that
> it's not (sadly) an IDE-only effect - times are the same in a standalone.
>
> Can anyone confirm if this is a Mac-only phenonemon, or whether it
> happens on
> Windows also?

Tested on WindowsXP with a 400 K file (Rev 2.6 and Metacard 2.6.5) with
zero delay in both cases, so it seems to be a Mac-only effect.
I tested with both IDEs as a number of processes run considerably slower
in Rev, e.g. for some imagedata functions I get a consistent slower
performance of about 33% inside Rev (including version 2.7.1).

Wilhelm Sanke
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>