newbie q about revolution

Viktoras Didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Mon May 22 02:49:23 EDT 2006

You will need Rev Stdudio 2.6.1 in order to compile your applications for
Linux.  The new version 2.7.1 still has to be updated for Linux support
which is coming... That was initially my concern as I purchased 2.7.1, but
RunRev support were very kind to provide a license for the previous version,
so now I can publish both for MS Windows and Linux as intended. I use Ubuntu
for testing, so far no problems...

However I do not think it is a true compilation, it packages the stacks,
scripts, engine (interpreter) and whatever-else into a single runtime and
this additionally takes about 2 Mb of disk space. The speed is OK (like Perl
or other interpreted languages), however if you need processing large
amounts of data (images, raster maps), the best way is to write a small app
in truly compiled language (C, Assembly, etc) and then to "glue it" with (or
within) the Revolution stack.

Also my suggestion is to make backups during development. Once I managed to
create a code so it used to crash my studio on stack open (in Windows),
without any hope for recovery :-(.  I was lucky to have some earlier
versions of stacks on my disk as backups.

Best wishes
Viktoras