newbie q about revolution

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Mon May 22 00:52:49 EDT 2006

Revolution seems to be my solution for writing business apps.  I am a business
person, not a professional programmer, but I create all of my internal apps,
currently in Foxpro/DOS.  A couple of questions:

The description says the program creates "stand alone" executables.  To me
this means no "run time", no "token compiling", but it may mean external
libraries.  Is this true?

How big is "Hello World", meaning how much baggage (code bloat) is included in
the executable?

Does revolution lend itself to creating  simple applications quickly?
Example, I can create a simple name/address database application in
Foxpro/DOS with menu, add, edit, search, select index, etc. in about 1 hour
including creating the database structure.

Is a database application, without multimedia features a good use of this
product?

Are there any hidden problems that are not discussed in the web/faq, etc.,
like "copy protection" methods that require dongles, keeping the licensed
program on the computer/lan that the compiled application is running on, etc.

My operating system of choice is linux (currently Suse 9.3), not a windows os.
Is this a good match, or is this a windows product that usually runs on Linux,
with little support?

The old adage, "if it looks to good to be true, it probably is" keeps ringing
in my mind, but revolution could also be a minimally marketed diamond in the
rough!

Thanks in advance,

--
John R. Sowden