images in cross-platform stacks

Martin Baxter mb.ur at harbourhosting.co.uk
Wed May 17 08:16:32 EDT 2006

David and Richard,

Does it not also have to do with being able to discern subtleties of
shadow detail on-screen? Uncorrected CRT Gamma (as per Win / Nix /
Television) gives a very non-linear display and tends to compress the
bottom 20% to black.

Images made in systems like this tend not to have any bottom-end
information at all - it typically begins at around 20%, effectively
reducing the dynamic range - not good for print - although possibly
practical for consumer-oriented screen-based media.

Something else I occasionally wonder about though. Are todays LCD
monitors configured to mimic the poor linearity characteristics of the
old CRTs? I would guess they are, so as to be compatible with existing
media. Presumably flat screens don't have the same inherent physical
characteristics as a CRT? I'm interested to know what's done in that case.

Martin Baxter