Using Revolution only in a command line mode?

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Sat May 13 12:32:50 EDT 2006

>I was wondering if anybody has used  Revolution in a non-Gui enviroment. I

I can't see why not. I haven't done it exactly in an app, but I use
command-mode every day in the message box to test code snippets
commands and functions. Your entire command line project could be a
field on a card on a single stack. Make a 'splash screen' executable
and put libraries of routines in a folder (and within the .app
package on Mac OSX).

Programming a simple command line app would be an interesting change of pace.
Adapting a gui would be harder - but not impossible. Something could
be rigged to the menupick handler...you could also employ a subset of
features.

The internal messaging system handles events.. your command line
could be parsed for accuracy then 'sent' to the engine. (remember the
'scriptLimits').

If it were done for a VT-100 terminal standards, you could do a lot
of fancy stuff with cursors placed wherever you want on the screen,
simulating a windowed environment.

Theoretically, it should easier overall to make an app without a GUI
than with. You can pass any number of parameters in a command line
and get info or errors on return. Then 'all' you have to do is the
business logic.

But of course it will be harder for newbies to use. You'll have to
use 'modes' if things get complex.

I did several in Apple Basic. A lot of menus within menus for help (
?  ) makes it a bit easier to use. And then somebody wrote a 'strap
on' gui thing for apple basic by '82 that allowed for different
'windows' on screen and pulldown menus...and then lisa, then the
mac...and...

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o