Navigating through added XML data?

Peter T. Evensen pevensen at siboneylg.com
Wed Mar 29 19:32:21 EST 2006

If you have an XML Tree, you can add nodes using revAddXMLNode, put data
into the node using revPutIntoXMLNode and then use revXMLText(tXMLTree) to
save the text to a file name.

Here is a function I created to add data to an arbitrary node in an
existing tree (it creates all the nodes, if they do not exist, but assumes
the root node exists):

on SaveToXMLTree TreeID, Path, Data
   if TreeID is a number then
     -- see if the node exists
     set the itemDelimiter to "/"
     repeat with i = 2 to the number of items in Path - 1
       put item 1 to i of Path into startNode
       put item i+1 of Path into node
       if revXMLChildNames(TreeID,startNode,"",node,false) is empty then
         revAddXMLNode TreeID, startNode, node, ""
         if the result contains "xmlerr" then
           ReportError "Error adding node" && item 1 to i+1 of Path && "to
XML Tree:" && the result
         end if
       end if
     end repeat
     set the itemDelimiter to ","
     if the platform is "MacOS" then
       put the MacToISO of Data into Data
     end if
     revPutIntoXMLNode TreeID,Path,Data
     if the result contains "xmlerr" then
       ReportError "Error adding data to node" && Path && ":" && the result
     end if
   end if
end SaveToXMLTree