Making the move...

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Mar 22 11:29:43 EST 2006

Geoff,

>  -- breaking out routines for local vs. server connection

Client selection [server opens all dbs as local connections]:

     replace return with numToChar(29) in itemList
     replace return with numToChar(29) in searchCriteria
     requestSDBService
sdbBuffer,"find",packArguments(9,exactKey,fieldDelimiter,itemList,setPos
ition,searchForward,searchCriteria,cutoffKey,recordDelimiter,unlockRecor
d)
     get the result
     if not word 1 of it and setPosition then put word 4 of it into
sdbPosition
     put it into sdbParameters
     return it

Every db access call has similar logic, but the second and third
arguments are unique.  To generalize:

     replace return with numToChar(29) in itemList
     replace return with numToChar(29) in searchCriteria
     put
packArguments(9,exactKey,fieldDelimiter,itemList,setPosition,searchForwa
rd,searchCriteria,cutoffKey,recordDelimiter,unlockRecord) into
packedArguments
     doGeoffsHandler sdBuffer,"find",packedArguments
     return the result

on doGeoffsHandler @sdBuffer,serviceType,packedArguments
     requestSDBService sdbBuffer,serviceType,packedArguments
     get the result
     if not word 1 of it and setPosition then put word 4 of it into
sdbPosition
     put it into sdbParameters
     return it
end doGeoffsHandler

I've saved two lines in the original handler...for what--the need to
look up another handler to see the full picture?

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company