Get a handler from a script

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Mar 20 07:24:05 EST 2006

Hi,

Yes, this really is the problem. In order to parse and identify a
function/handler 100% correctly you need to do most (if not all) of
the work of the TranScript Parser in the Script Compiler. In the past
I've written any number of language parsers and I know it is non-
trivial to get it 100% right. The best solution IMO would be to add
code to RunRev that allows the script to find out if a handler/
function is defined or not. One way would be to add a function that
checks for the existence of a hanlder/function  (without looking at
the text of the script), another would be to hold an array of
functions/handlers as a property of the Object. For instance if the
script compiler built two arrays and stored them as a property of the
object:

functionArray["FuncrtionName"] = StartLine,EndLine
handlerArray["HandlerName"] = StartLine,EndLine

Where StartLine is the line number in the script that contains  the
"on" or "function" text.
Where LineLine is the line number is the script that contains  the
"end" text.

I should imagine it is possible to parse the script and get it 100%
correct using TranScript, but:

1.  It is likely to be quite a bit of work to code/test.
2.  If the underlying script syntax is changed it could break.
3.  It is likely be very slow and impact performance badly unless you
are very careful about how/when it was used. One way would be to run
some code at preOpenStack time that scanned through the scripts of
objects in the stack and built the arrays described above.

I was quite shocked when I discovered that the ability to check for
the existence of a function/handler was not actually built into to
RunRev when so much other information about objects is present.

All the Best
Dave