Get a handler from a script

Dick Kriesel dick.kriesel at mail.com
Sun Mar 19 21:01:07 EST 2006

On 3/19/06 5:12 PM, "Geoff Canyon" <gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com> wrote:

> I feel like the harbinger of doom here (with Alex as my able partner
> in doomsaying) but:
>
> This would still be subject to failure if, anywhere in the script, /*
> or */ appeared _not_ as block comment delimiters, but as part of a
> string.

www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/fools+rush+in+where+angels+fear+to+tre
ad.html

Imagine we first remove comments that start with "--" and then start looking
for block comments.  If a "/*" follows an even number of quotes, it starts a
block comment.  If it follows an odd number of quotes, it's embedded in a
string.  After a "/*" starts a block comment, then the next "*/" ends the
comment.  Right?

Or do the angels see even more of the devil in the details?

-- Dick