[OT] Major Flood in Kauai - Swami??

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Mar 16 04:43:05 EST 2006

Aloha, yes, we are fine... Thanks for asking. The reservoir that
broke is about 20 miles north of us. It's been raining for 4-5 days,
almost none stop, yesterday it rained steadily for 20 out of 24
hours. We think the storm has  moved on...  Seven people missing..
several found washed  out to sea... their  home must have been in
direct path.  But, not to focus only on us... this is happening
everywhere...in many countries.

Other strange things: The billion dollar new Mariott, when it was
redone, the engineers decided to build the new hotel on a river bed
and divert that stream to the ocean through a duct on the side of the
hotel. Well, guess what, the stream delivered 10 times the duct
capacity and decided to go for her old path to the ocean:  straight
through the hotel, in the top floors, down through the  halls, out
the  lobby, onto the beach and back to Mother! No one hurt, but --
well, for species homo sapiens --- rather an embarrassing moment of
incredulous dismay.

Mount Waialeale above us, I can see her daily when I step out from
our publications office...  is the wettest place on earth. And that's
with an average rainfall  around 460 inches a year. But, get this: in
2005 we measured over 1000 inches at the top of the mountain.

Kauai's Hindu Monastery is in a very safe place. We are on higher
elevation just a few miles inland. But even so, here we are standing
at an electrical box on the side of a power line pole, it's four feet
above ground in front of the temple... there is water pouring out of
it, as if someone had hooked it up to a pump... can't believe our
eyes, never saw such a thing. the land to the north from our
property is at a higher elevation, fields, completely saturated and
the underground electrical system has become a drain pipe for higher
ground water.

The salinity measurements between the tropical latitudes has spiked,
so, all that evaporated water..it's got to come down somewhere...
someone said they had 24 free of snow in the midwest
somewhere...never happened before in their lifetime.   It's happening
folks; we were warned... this list is not the place to say more,
suffice it to say: the show begins.

Sivakatirswami