The End of Dreamcard?

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Thu Mar 9 05:14:54 EST 2006

Hi Dan,

There are two things that I don't understand.

The first one is if your friend is an enthusiastic user of revolution
and wanted his story to be used to convince non profit users on this
list to put bigger money in their hobby, why didn't he write this
email himself.

The second is if it is so evident all non profit should go and buy
rev studio, why was this email necessary?

I rather agree with the argument you make, but I disagree with the
way it is made, using the story of another person that nobody can
check up. I far prefer that attempts to convince non profit users on
this list to put the little money they have in revolution rather than
other products focus on a discussion of the intrinsic quality of the
product and customer support.

Marielle

> I thought this might add a bit of perspective if not humor to our
> discussion.
>
> I have a really good friend who is a semi-serious amateur
> photographer. He's
> also pretty computer-savvy. A while back I introduced him to Rev
> and he's
> been delightedly churning out apps for his use in his hobby, happy
> as a
> clam. He bought Dreamcard.
>
> When the new release came out and it became apparent that DC would
> no longer
> be a viable product, it took him about 3 minutes to decide to
> upgrade to
> Studio when the time comes to do that. I asked him how he made that
> decision.
>
> "Revolution Studio is cheaper than any camera or lens I own for my
> other
> hobby. I don't make money at either. Part of the definition of a
> hobby is
> something you enjoy pouring money into so you can see better and
> better
> results. I've become something of a hobbyist programmer now and I
> want the
> right tools for that job just like I want the right cameras and
> lenses. It's
> a no-brainer."
>
> This guy's not wealthy (he's retired) but he understands the value
> of the
> right tool for the right job. I just thought that was a terribly
> sane way to
> look at things.
>
> And no I'll step aside and wait for the flamers to point out how
> little
> money academia has, how unpredictable software strategies are and
> all the
> rest.
>
> :-)
>
> Dan