The End of Dreamcard?

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 16:57:15 EST 2006

I thought this might add a bit of perspective if not humor to our
discussion.

I have a really good friend who is a semi-serious amateur photographer. He's
also pretty computer-savvy. A while back I introduced him to Rev and he's
been delightedly churning out apps for his use in his hobby, happy as a
clam. He bought Dreamcard.

When the new release came out and it became apparent that DC would no longer
be a viable product, it took him about 3 minutes to decide to upgrade to
Studio when the time comes to do that. I asked him how he made that
decision.

"Revolution Studio is cheaper than any camera or lens I own for my other
hobby. I don't make money at either. Part of the definition of a hobby is
something you enjoy pouring money into so you can see better and better
results. I've become something of a hobbyist programmer now and I want the
right tools for that job just like I want the right cameras and lenses. It's
a no-brainer."

This guy's not wealthy (he's retired) but he understands the value of the
right tool for the right job. I just thought that was a terribly sane way to
look at things.

And no I'll step aside and wait for the flamers to point out how little
money academia has, how unpredictable software strategies are and all the
rest.

:-)

Dan