Stripping trailing spaces from a string

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 01:51:08 EST 2006

On 3/4/06 8:00 PM, "Jim Witte" <jswitte at bloomington.in.us> wrote:

> How can I use a RegEx to strip trailing white-space?  I tried:
>
> get matchText(theExpr, "(.*)\s*", theExpr)
>
> where theExpr is "0025E95C mov      r5, r0                          "

   put "(.*[^\s])" into regEx --trims spaces from right
  get matchText(strr,regEx,strr)

Basically says capture the whole string and come back until the character is
not a "word delimiter", not necessarily a space.  If you only want spaces to
qualify then use

put "(.*[^\ ])" into regEx --trims spaces from right
(note the space char after the "\")

put "([^\s]+)" into RegEx  --matches only the first word

Basically says capture the characters as long as it is not a "word
delimiter".

Ken has MUCH better experience and even gives time trial results :-)

Jim Ault
Las Vegas