[OT] Market Share

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Thu Jun 29 19:59:53 EDT 2006

OTOH, Chipp, wouldn't it make more sense for  developers be more
interested in installed base, rather than the last years market
share? (Not that I have any idea what those figures might be). And
even then, if you're developing in a particular area, these installed
base/market share figures can be wildly different anyway.

I mean, no-one can seriously deny that the majority of the world is
using Windows, but this does not at all mean that the other OS's
should simply  be ignored by the business-minded developer. I know
you know that, and I know that this list is hardly a place where the
Macintosh needs much defending, but I think the point is worth
making. After all, Rev's cross platform ability is one of it's
biggest plus-points for many here.

Not that it's a perfect metaphor, but while Toyota is obviously a
much bigger company than BMW, is a BMW dealership necessarily a worse
business than a Toyota dealership? (I read somewhere that BMWs market
share is around 1 to 2%).

Best,

Mark