Icon menu blocking standard menus

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 17:51:34 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I'm trying to use the unsupported features relating to "the icon" and
it's menu. I set it up OK and it gets populated dynamically. The
information in the "What's New" file under "the iconMenu" has to be
the most confusing ever written, but in fact, the menu is structured
exactly the same as any other menu.

Moving on from that, I have my menu which is constructed dynamically
when the "iconMenuOpening" message is received. That works perfectly.

Then I have an "iconMenuPick" handler that gets called whenever a
choice is made from this icon menu. That too is working perfectly.

The problem is that once I have used the icon menu, the normal menus
no longer work. If I start up, I can use the normal menus. Then if I
do anything using the icon menu, choosing an item subsequently from
the normal menus has no effect.

The exceptions are Preferences & Quit, but as I am using OS X, these
have both been moved to the application menu so are slightly
different.

On testing, I found that once the icon menu had been used, every time
I used the standard menus, the message being sent was the iconMenuPick
message, not the standard menuPick. Even worse, the iconMenuPick
message has no parameters in this case, so there is no way I can fake
it.

The instructions for using these unsupported features say that I can't
bug report them, but I was wondering if anyone else had encountered
this problem and if so, if they had a solution.

Thanks,
Sarah