Revolution Media Presentation Viewable on Web?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Tue Jun 27 13:31:14 EDT 2006

Greg,

Rev is not a web authoring product. Rev is a Software authoring product.

Revolution is a computer programming language designed to be generic
enought so that you can make almost all kinds of software with it.
Some of the concepts of Rev and features are:

* Organized in clean stacks, cards and objects.
* Message Hierarchy
* Support for TCP/IP and lots of standard protocols
* Support to many database systems (mySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle)
* Multimedia features thru quicktime.
* Rich tools to build user interface.
* Wonderful text parsing.
* XML libraries.

This are just some features I am quoting out of my head. Nor Flash,
Nor Quicktime, Nor the best mix of AJAX/CSS/Buzzword-of-the-month
will give you this feature set. The only possible way to have this
kinds of features is by switching to another computer language. You
simply cannot map back and forth from Rev to the technologies you're
saying. It's like saying that fireworks does a better job at croping
images than rev, hey, fireworks is a image manipulation program, Rev
is a language, it will do what you code it to do.

Now that we're talking about coding, let me give you an idea. See
it's not impossible to transport your efforts with Rev to the web,
the thing is that it is not out of the box. You'll never be able to
transport a Revolution stack application to the web while sustaining
all its features. But you can create your own tool to make your web
stuff. It's easier than you think.

For example suppose that each card is a page, and in each page there
are images, like a virtual photo albumn. You can then make a little
tool that will loop thru this stack and images building an HTML + CSS
photo gallery for you.

Many in this list have coined their own Content Management System in
Rev, some have turned those into products which are quite good. Check
4W WebMerge and Altuit Hemmingway, both are built with Rev and easy
to use.

When you build your own tool, you control everything, you can decide
how things should be transported to the web and adapt your software
to your personal workflow, its a nice experience when you first do it.

cheers
andre