about media...

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Jun 26 18:12:51 EDT 2006

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> Ben Rubinstein wrote:
>>
>>> Is the reverse also true, ie can Enterprise users edit stacks created
>>> by Media (and then have them read by Media again)?
>>
>> Yes.
>

> I'm confused:  I thought the idea with the file format change was to
> prevent Media people from handing their stacks to owners of Studio and
> Enterprise to make standalones from them.

Not exactly. They could do that. If they find they need to do it too
often, they'll probably just upgrade to Studio. Lots of people have done
that, because asking someone else to repeatedly do builds for you is a
pain in the tochus.

> Enterprise and Studio use the same format, so if those products can both
> read and write Media stacks what's the point?

The point is to disallow faking a standalone with a Media stack. Stacks
saved in Media will not open in a standalone, with the exception of
Runtime's Player which has special compensations for Media stacks. All
licensed editions can read stacks saved by any other edition, provided
the edition can read 2.7 file format (which is the only format Media can
save in.) However, once a Media user saves a stack, they can't fake a
standalone by using something like StackRunner, for example.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com