checking to see if a file on an ftp server is newer (or different?) than the local file

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 18:49:36 EDT 2006

On 6/22/06, Josh Mellicker <josh at dvcreators.net> wrote:
> What is the method y'all use to check to see if a file on an ftp
> server is newer (or different?) than the local file?
>
> (This is for a self-updating app with a "splash" app that downloads,
> then runs a main stack.)
>
> MD5? Date/time? Version number in filename?
>
> Tanx in advance. 8^)

I use the version number in the file name. I have a self-updating app
with about 20 substacks. When I change one, I upload it with a file
name like "efTimers204.rev.gz". The app logs in and sees that this is
version 2.04. It checks a custom property of it's current
"efTimers.rev" stack and if it is less than 2.04, it downloads the new
one, uncompresses and installs it.

HTH,
Sarah