[OT (slightly) ] Re: Please confirm your message

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 20 19:04:08 EDT 2006

Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Every time I send a message to the use-rev list, I get an email such as
> the one below. It's from a list member who hasn't had the good grace to
> set up his spam filters to accept mail from the list that he (or she)
> joined. Seems to me it's kind of impolite to join a list and then expect
> every other contributor to take extra action to accommodate your spam
> filters.
>
> I haven't yet taken the action suggested, and in fact, I'm not ever
> going to take it, because it violates my idea of how things "should"
> work, so pretty soon, I'll get around to blacklisting "MAILER-DAEMON at his
> domain"  in my filters so I don't see these messages.
>
> Am I the only grumpy old man who doesn't like this ?

Anti-spam auto-responders haven't been useful in years.  Spambots love
them as a way to verify that an email address works, but humans merely
find them annoying.

So I'll see your grumpiness and raise you one:

The policy in my office is that any auto-responders get their sender's
email address added to my blacklist, and all subsequent emails from them
go right to the trash.

When someone treats others' emails with such disregard I'm quick to
return the favor and move on with the busy day.  I trust Heather will do
the same.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal