Emulating FileMaker (was Re: jjSQL handlers)

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue Jun 20 16:59:18 EDT 2006

Josh Mellicker wrote
> Really, I am looking to emulate FileMaker's "Layout" view.

Quartam Reports comes the closest to this I've seen (in Rev).

http://www.quartam.com/

> I also want to make the process of building multi-table join queries
> visual and intuitive.

Multiple utilities for this using MySQL. MySQL WorkBench comes to mind as
the most advanced. None of them written in Rev as far as I know.

> Eventually, I would like to race a FileMaker developer to put  together a
> basic multiuser, multitable data app and tie or come in  very close!

Good luck! All a FileMaker user has to do is click a checkbox and their
database is multiuser. The point really isn't to make a "basic" database
either. You can do that in 15 minutes with MySQL and PHP. The point is to
make a powerful system that is also easy to use (and easy to develop in).

> Okay, why not just use FileMaker you ask?
>
> 1. Well, last time I checked (years ago), the process of getting the
> database on a remote server so anyone could access seemed like a real
> pain, I can set up a fast MySQL db in a minute or two and it's ready  to
> go. MySQL is multi-threaded and handles tens of millions of  records and
> users easily (maybe FM does this now too, not sure!) (And  MySQL's free!)

All versions of FileMaker support some level of multiuser functionality, and
as I mentioned, it takes clicking a checkbox to making it so. If you want to
use a remote server, you just set up an account with one of the dozens of
FileMaker hosting companies and you're good-to-go. Pricing for such hosting
services is as low as $30/month. (Or buy FileMaker Server Advanced and do it
yourself.)

FileMaker 8 (current version) also is multi-threaded (handles 1, 2, and
4-processor hardware) and can handle tens of millions of records. Actually,
64 quadrillion records. A single database file can be up to 8 terabytes in
size. Fields can hold hold up to 2GB of data. You're limited to 1 million
tables per file and 256 million fields per file.

> 2. Along with data, if you also want other functions, like ftp,  graphic
> and video functions, and to build a standalone app, Rev is  much better
> than FM.

FileMaker can FTP with the addition of any of several plugins. It can
natively display QuickTime and several forms of graphics files (all of the
ones Rev supports I believe). Those files can be embedded into the file or
referenced by path. Any type of file can be embedded into a FileMaker
"Container" field. FileMaker 8 Advanced enables you to build royalty-free
runtimes for Windows and Macintosh. [It *is* true that Revolution-based
runtimes are more customizable.]

Stephen Barncard wrote
> As far as I know, Filemaker does not have a text interface, command line
> like MySQL. A good MySQL book, the command line and Rev,  one can get any
> data in any format.

You can access FileMaker databases using ODBC/JDBC, XML/XSLT, PHP (via
FX.php), Lasso, and of course FileMaker clients. In other words, you can use
Rev to access a FileMaker file, and you can use PHP to build a web site with
a FileMaker back-end, just like with MySQL.

FileMaker also is unique in having an "Instant Web Publishing" interface
which lets people connect using a web browser -- the solution looks and
works more or less exactly as it does from within FileMaker. All without
writing a single line of code.

I'm not saying that FileMaker is always going to be the ideal choice for a
multi-user database deployment. But I wanted to correct misconceptions that
are repeated over and over about the product.

If you want to build a Rev-based application that lets you build/manage
rich, LAMP-based DB applications (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)* as easily as
you can build FileMaker solutions then more power to ya! I've seen about
half-a-dozen half-finished efforts out there. But half-finished doesn't win
the race. I think it will take you a very, very, VERY long time to replicate
FileMaker's:

- Table/Field definition module
- Relationships graph
- Value lists
- Field formatting options
- Access Privileges module
- Layout module
- Scripting module

My goodness, we don't even have a decent table object built into Rev, and I
haven't even seen anyone come out with a fully-featured, high-performance,
quality add-in/replacement for that!

Where Revolution shines is its ability to create highly-customized,
streamlined clients... software that doesn't have to do all the things
FileMaker does. But does the few things it has to do very well. And yes, if
you want to have custom WindowShapes, complete control over window
decorations, alpha blending, custom dialogs, slider bars, and many other
interface customizations then Rev is definitely the better choice. But in
terms of database power FileMaker is years ahead.

* If you're using the Rev CGI, would that make it a LAMR-based solution?
(i.e., Linux, Apache, MySQL, Revolution? eep!)