ANN: Global freeware laptop diary tool in REV

Garrett Hylltun garrett at paraboliclogic.com
Sat Jun 17 14:29:54 EDT 2006

Greetings,

I don't want this to come across as being harsh on this program, but I
did see some things that really turn me off in a program.

The interface is a big thing with me.  So right now my focus is on the
gui of the program.

The initial screen of this program really turned me off.  There was a
mix of 3d buttons and then flat buttons.  Some flashing and some not.
Some text going off the buttons.  Buttons that are square, buttons that
  have rounded ends.  And no consistence with placements and dimensions
of the buttons.

Then I open the diary section, and again, there are many gui issues.
Elements overlapping other elements, mix of different styles and colors
of buttons, different fonts used on buttons of the same sections, and no
consistence with the dimensions and placements of buttons and other
elements.

Calendar is a mix of fonts and has all the same gui issues as already noted.

Addresses, ditto.

The diurnal Glyph sections looks well organized compared to the other
sections I've seen so far, but suffers from edit field alignment
problems, and dimension issues also.  Some of the numbered labels are
focusable with focus border, and a few have the 3d border instead of 2
pixel colored border.

And that's as far as I will go on this.  I'm probably over picky about
the interface of programs, or expect too much of them.  And contrary to
belief that people don't judge a book by it's cover... They Do!  If your
program looks crappy, then the user is going to assume that the code
that runs the program is crappy too.

I feel bad for bringing this up because it looks like you put a lot of
time and effort into this.  But the interface is going to kill any hope
of this program being taken seriously.

I'm really kind of bad when it comes to giving constructive criticism of
something, because I'm not very good with using words and end up
insulting someone.  Please do not take this as anything other than
someone trying to help you by pointing out some problems.

Best regards,
-Garrett