Laptop diary tool in REV - Glyphs

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Sat Jun 17 12:23:33 EDT 2006

And on a related note, and also not to denigrate anyones work, but
one thing that still drives me round the bend is a row of icons
without captions.
Icons on their own, imho, are useful as visual aides-memoires to
where something is once you already know what you're looking for, but
simply confusing when you are unfamiliar with a particular app.

One example is a truly horrible audio editing program I had to use
once or twice, which had about 30 buttons with captionless icons in a
column down one side of the window, if I remember correctly.  One of
these buttons was for joining two sections of audio into one, and
another for separating a section of audio into two.

I still can't remember which was which, but one had a picture of a
closed zip fastener with the zipper at the top, the other a picture
of an open zip fastener with the zipper at the bottom. I had to
either hover the mouse over one of them and wait for the tool-tip to
appear, or just click one and undo if it turned out to be wrong. The
simple inclusion of the captions "join" and "separate" would have
saved me endless frustration and annoyance.

They were nasty, crude icons, too. :)

Tool-tips just don't cut it at all, as far as I'm concerned, though
they can be useful for slightly more explanation than a caption,
where necessary.

Now I'm as keen on the GUI as anyone else, but it seems to me that
this avoidance of text at all costs is all part of a general dumbing
down, along with the use (previously discussed on this list) of the
infantile "my" prefix for almost everything, like we're all tiny
children playing with my little pony. Perhaps it's supposed to soften
the terrifying intellectual strain of having to read words like
'computer', 'documents' etc.

Bit of a rant, I know, but I feel better already .... thanks for
listening :)

Mark

ps. You were lucky, I did all my work etching letters into basalt
with my finger nails....