Internal security of Rev?

John Tregea john at debraneys.com
Wed Jul 12 20:20:08 EDT 2006

Hi Dar,

Thanks for your extensive reply. The point you raised about info leaks
through memory was one of my two concerns, the other was what could be
seen by 'peaking' into the built application. I guess I can overwrite
the memory variables I use by setting them to empty at the end of each
handler. I planned to do that when the user logs out anyway. I also was
going to store the variables in custom properties (in encrypted form)
during the session and set them to empty at the end of a session.

Really there is just two things that have to be stored in the Rev side
of the solution. That is the login user name and password for the
postgreSQL database. Once the connection is made through that default
account, there is a two, three or four factor validation process from
within POstgreSQL.

I realised that I may be able to use the location of certain objects
within the front end to build the key. The objects never move in
relation to each other and the resulting string of numbers would be a
perfectly hidden string.

maybe something like

repeat with x = 1 to the number of btns
    put char 1 of the short name of btn x & item 1 of the loc of btn x
after tTheKey
    if length(tTheKey) > 16 then exit repeat
end repeat
put char 1 to 16 of tTheKey into tTheKey

-- the key would end up something like b234t256h678f67u (a 128 bit key)

?

I would have to be careful that the stack window never has a new button
inserted at a low layer in subsequent versions, or the clients would
lose there data decrypt capability :-)

Any thoughts?

John