Dependence on Programming Experts

Peter T. Evensen pevensen at siboneylg.com
Wed Jul 12 17:14:50 EDT 2006

I vote for the Pascal ":=", too.  That's the same thing Authorware uses (if
you are using their script and not Javascipt).  Might help Authorware refugees!

Since we have "put something into tSomethingElse" and if we add "
tSomethingElse = something" why not add a 3rd to accommodate everyone?

Anyway, there are usually two ways to do things in Trans...er...
Revolution, e.g.  "abs(-5)" and "the abs of -5", so having the two
different types of assignments (put and =) seems to be within the spirit of
the language.

At 03:09 PM 7/12/2006, you wrote:
>Rob Cozens wrote:
>
>>>The key thing to remember with this proposed addition is that it's an
>>>ADDITION, and OPTION that one can CHOOSE to use if they like, or not if
>>>they don't.
>>And if Pascal programmers want := does Rev support yet another
>>OPTION.  And if you want VB syntax, do we add yet another OPTION?
>
>Reductio ad absurdum can be amusing, sometimes even pursuasive, but rarely
>truly helpful.  While we've had many requests over many years for what can
>in the 21st century rightly be called "common" assignment notation, yours
>is the first and only post to suggest Pascal be considered as well.
>
>The proposed assignment OPTION is consistent with several dozen languages,
>many of which are still actively growing a strong rate, as opposed to
>Pascal which is the only one which uses Pascal-style assignment and is in
>rapid decline today.

Peter T. Evensen
http://www.PetersRoadToHealth.com
314-629-5248 or 888-682-4588